Many years ago I was win Chicago and had dinner at RPM Italian.
The food was excellent but when they brought the dessert, I fell in love.
Yes, it was a pudding, but it was also like a cold creme brûlée. It was rich and chocolate-y. The addition of the caramel sauce, whipped cream and a sprinkle of salt was amazing.
I hope I have done it justice in this rendition I came up with.
Dark Chocolate Budino
- small, 6-ounce, ramekins
- 1-1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbs. Granulated White Sugar
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 1 cup Chopped, good quality, Dark Chocolate
- In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, cream and sugar. Start on a low heat and gradually increase to bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a heat proof bowl slightly whisk egg yolk and carefully whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture. You need to whisk fast so you don't make scrambled eggs. You are "tempering" the eggs.Add the egg mixture back into milk mixture and return to heat, whisking rapidly. Gradually heat back to 180° (use a candy thermometer).
- Place chopped chocolate in another heat proof bowl and pour hot milk over.Let sit for 5 minutes and then stir until completely melted and smooth.Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Divide and pour evenly into small ramekins ans palce in refrigerator to chill until set. This will take at least 2 hours.To serve, drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with flake salt, like Maldon.