I think fudge was a standard recipe in the time of my great grandmother, because it was fast and the ingredients were readily available.
It also helped that Mamie Eisenhower was publishing the recipes she made for her family and housewives across the country were copying her.
Here is one from my great grandmothers book of recipes. It’s very rich and sweet but doesn’t last long in my house.
- cups Granulated White Sugar
- 2/3 cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 Tbs. Salted Butter
- 2 cups Mini-Marshmallows
- 1 12 ounce bag chocolate chips, I like Milk chocolate
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with foil and leave some overhang for handles.
- In a heavy saucepan combine sugar, milk and buttter.Bring to a healthy boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 full minutes, while stirring.Stir in marshmallows, chocolate and vanilla and stir vigorously until marshmallows and chocolate are melted.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth.Refrigerate for 2 hours, until firmly set.Lift our of pan with handles.Cut into small squares and serve. Store in refrigerator.