Back in the 1970’s, when my mom was a member of the Time-Life Recipe Club, she would get a packet of cards each month with a different theme. She would diligently take the recipes out of their package and place them in the avocado green recipe box.
I loved them. Each month I would travel to a different country and dream of one day actually visiting them. My favorite was France. There were recipes for soup and braised meats; luxurious sauces and crepes. The desserts were always the best. I found a recipe for Gateau au Chocolat and knew that I had to make this for my dad!
I made the recipe and when it came out, it didn’t look quite like the picture. I was so disappointed. I went back and read the recipe. OH NO! The recipe called for 4 TEASPOONS of flour and sugar. I had put 4 TABLESPOONS!
I watched carefully as my dad took his first bite. Although it looked like a loaf shaped brownie, it was really fudge inside and the sugar had made a crust that crackled as his fork pushed through. His face lit up with delight as that fork hit is mouth.
I immediately took a slice for myself. The crackly crust enrobed a creamy fudge center. Yes it was more sugar than the recipe called for but it was just the right amount of sweet and bitter. My teenage heart was full; especially when my dad proclaimed I the best mistake I ever made.
Gateau au Chocolat
- 4 large Eggs, separated
- 4-4oz. bars German's Sweet Baking Chocolate
- 4 Tbs. Granulated White Sugar
- 4 Tbs. All-Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 425°.Butter and line, with wax paper, a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Melt chocolate, in large bowl, over a double boiler. Remove from heat.Melt butter in chocolate with spatula. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Set aside.With same beaters, beat egg yolks until thick and light in color.While beating constantly, slowly add sugar, then flour and beat until just combined.
- Stir egg mixture into chocolate mixture.Fold egg whites into chocolate and egg mixture. It may not fully combnie, this is okay.
- Pour into prepared pan.Reduce oven temperature to 350°.Bake for 25 minutes.Let cool completely on rack, Cake will settle like a cheesecake.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours until chilled.Slice and serve with a dusting of confectioners sugar. You can add chocolate curls, whipped cream and/or fresh berries.