Strawberry Margarita Cupcake
Fromthe old days of Swizzle Cakes; here is the recipe for a great "drink"
Servings: 12 dozen large
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups Granulated White Sugar
- 4 large Eggs, separated
- 3 cups Cake Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Tbs. Fresh Lime Juice
- 6 Tbs. Fresh Lime Zest
- 1/2 cup Tequila, for after baking
- 1/2 cup Triple Sec, for after baking
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbs. Tequila
- 2 Tbs. Triple Sec
- 2 pinches Salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Strawberry Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Red Food Coloring
- Red Sanding Sugar or sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°Butter and flour large muffin tins. You can use muffin liners.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar, until fluffy, about 2 minutes.Add egg yolks, one at a time.Beat egg whites until stiff, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.Working in thirds, add dry ingredients to butter mixture; alternating with milk. Start and finish with with dry ingredients. Do not overwork.Add zest and juice and mix until just blended.Fold in egg whites.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes until tootpick comes out clean.
- Mix together tequila and triple sec.Immediately upon removing the cupcakes from oven, poke 4-5 holes in each cupcake, with a skewer. Drizzle 1 tbs.of liquor mix over each and let cool on rack.After cooling brush more liquor or simple syrup on sides of cupcake and rool in sanding sugar or sprinkles.Frost.
- In the bowl of a stnad-up mixer, fitted with whisk, whip butter until light and fluffy.On slow speed add tequila and triple sec, until combined. Then add extract.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar. Then add food coloring and salt until full colored.Use a star tip and frost each cupcake.