I have a daughter that is allergic to nuts. Thankfully, it is not a life threatening allergy but just enough to be really uncomfortable. She used to love the granola from Madison, in NYC. I decided to create a nut-free version she could enjoy. I think you’ll like it too. Remember the ingredients are all customizable. You can use whatever seeds and dried fruit you like, or have on hand.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. remember to send me pictures and comments. Follow me @whiskinthesouthern on Instagram.
Nut Free Granola
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cups pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds (hearts)
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes optional
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cups Pure maple Syrup Do not use the fake stuff!
- 1 tsp kosher salt maybe more
- 1/2 cup dried apricots cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl stir together the oats, seeds, and cacao nibs. Toss in oil and syrup. Add a nice sprinkle of kosher salt and turn out onto prepared baking sheet. Smooth out to a single layer and bake for 20-30 minutes. Rotate half way through and stir.
- When seed mixture comes out of oven, pour into same bowl and let cool a few minutes. Add dried fruit and toss well. Pour back onto baking sheet and let cool completely.
- You can store this in mason jars or other airtight container for 2 weeks in the pantry. You can also freeze for up to 3 months. This makes a great gift!