I remember a time when we talked ourselves into believing that Passover desserts tasted good. Now with the realization that not everyone can, or should, eat gluten, we have some really great options.
This flourless chocolate cake is smothered in ganache and then homemade caramel is decadence defined and you will not miss one bit of the gluten!
Flourless Chocolate Caramel Cake
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, use the good stiff
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
- 1-2 tsps. Instant Espresso Powder 1 will enhance the chocolate flavor; 2 will give you a mocha flavor.
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 Large Eggs, slighly beaten
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Chopped Bittersweet, or semi-sweet, Chocolate
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup Packed, Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbs. Whole Milk
- Preheat oven to 375°.Lightly grease an 8" cake pan and line with parchment paper. I like to grease the paper too.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring every 15 seconds, until butter is completely melted.At this point stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.Stir in sugar, salt, espresso powder and vanilla.Add in eggs and beat briefly until smooth.Add in cocoa powder and mix until just combined.
- Spoon in to prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.The cake should have a thin crust and the internal emperature should be 210°.Cool in pan for 5 minutes then runknife arond the side and turn out onto plate and let cool completely.
- Put chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Heat cream until it just starts to simmer. Do not boil.Pour hot cream over chocolate and let sit for 3 minutes.Stir until chocolate is completel melted and cream is incorporated.Pour over cooled cake and allow to set.
- Heat brown sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan, over a medium flame. Stir often and as soon as it begins to boil remove from heat. Stir until smooth.Allow it to cool down to just luke warm.Gently spoon over ganache and spread evenly.Serve at room temperature with a side of whipped cream.