Asparagus Legume Bell Pepper Salad
You can easily add chicken or steak to make this more of a meal.
- 2 large Bell Peppers choose red, yellow or orange
- 1/2 bunch asparagus trimmed and cut on diagonal into 1" pieces
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. fresh minced oregano leaves if you use dried, use only 1/2 tsp.
- 1 Tbs. fresh minced basil leaves if you use dried, use only 1 tsp.
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 14-oz can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed. You can save the liquid for another use.
- 12 kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 6 cups baby greens
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- You can use the peppers, either raw or roasted. To roast: Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil, leave an extended edge. Place whole peppers, in a single layer, on the foil and place baking sheet about 6" from broiler. Broil until lightly charred, using tongs to rotate peppers until all sides are charred. Draw foil around peppers and remove from oven. Close foil packet for 5 minutes or so. Once the peppers are cool enough to touch, peel peppers and discard seeds. Slice ninto 1/4" strips.
- Blanch asparagus until just tender (al dente). You can do this step before or after you cut into 1" pieces. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, lemon juice, oregano, basil and salt& pepper. Whisk in olive oil, slowly. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add greens to salad dressing bowl and toss, slightly. Add in garbanzo beans, pepper strips and olives, toss well. Add asparagus and toss gently. Sprinkle feta cheese on top and plate to serve.