In my world Carrot Cake strikes the perfect balance! It’s not too sweet, but it’s not savory. My cream cheese frosting is sweet but has a tart finish. And it’s carrots so you’re really eating a vegetable! My family can be finicky and…
Month: August 2021
If it hasn’t already ended where you are, Cherry season is coming to a fast end. I love cherries and will get them as long as I can and in any form I can, So even when the season is winding down and the cherries…
Who doesn’t love a good rice Krispy treat? It was one of the first things I made without adult supervision!
They are the epitome of a “treat”. They are sweet and gooey and taste so good.
Recently, I tried a new spin on the recipe and made Rocky Road. It has all the elements of the ice cream; almond, marshmallow and chocolate. It is also a traditional rice cereal treat with marshmallows, cereal and butter. How do you vary your treats?
Rocky Road Rice Krispy Treats
- 4 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
- 1 10-ounce pkg. Marshmallows
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1 cup Chopped Almonds
- 1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 6 cups Fresh Cocoa Krispies cereal
- Butter, heavily a 9x13 pan.In a large, heavy saucepan, melt butter. I use a dutch oven.Add regular marshmallows and stir until melted.Remove from heat.Add the cereal and stir to coat evenly.Stir in almonds, mini-marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Carefully, with buttered hands and spatula, pat into prepared pan.Cool completely then cut in to 3 inch square.You can serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrao and store at room temp for up to 2 days.
I think fudge was a standard recipe in the time of my great grandmother, because it was fast and the ingredients were readily available. It also helped that Mamie Eisenhower was publishing the recipes she made for her family and housewives across the country were…
Many years ago I was win Chicago and had dinner at RPM Italian. The food was excellent but when they brought the dessert, I fell in love. Yes, it was a pudding, but it was also like a cold creme brûlée. It was rich and…
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar you can use light or dark
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3 Tbs. Canola Oil
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
- 2/3 cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 cup Sparkling Wine
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/3 cup Sparkling Wine
- Gold Dusting Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400° and spray 2 donut pans with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar butter and oil. Add eggs and combine well. Whisk in vanilla.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.Alternating with milk mixture, stir flour mixture into sugar/butter mixture. Start and finish with dry ingredients. Do not over work.Stir sparkling wine in, just to combine.
- Evenly distribute batter between donut pan openings.Bake at 15-17 minutes, until golden brown and tootpick comes out just clean.Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out and cool completely on rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk sparkling wine into Confectioners' sugar to desired consistency.Spoon glaze over donuts and sprinkle with dusting sugar.
My kids love those cookies from the grocery store. You know the ones. The seem to have no flavor. The cookie is more cake than cookie and you just know that the vibrant colors of frosting are filled with chemicals. It pains me to buy…
There is a point when you look at the berries in your refrigerator and they just aren’t the same. I used to get really frustrated. I am always so ambitious when I buy fresh produce at the Farmer’s Market, and disappointed when we cant’t get…
You know I love cake. I am always looking for new ways to eat cake and different cakes to make. This Margarita Cake is a delicious way to imbibe.
If you want o make it alcohol free, substitute margarita mix for the tequila.
- 2-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbs. Lime Flavored Gelatin
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 cups Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups Granulated White Sugar
- 3 jumbo Eggs, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups Buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Nellies, Key Lime Juice, can order from Amazon can substitute fresh Lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. Tequila, Remember if you wouldn't drink it don't cook with it.
- 2 cups Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 6 cups Confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2-3 Tbs. Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- pinch Kosher Salt
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3-4 Tbs. Tequila
- Preheat oven to 350°.Butter, flour and line with parchment paper, 3 8" round cake pans.
- In a small bowl combine all dry ingredients.In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter unitl ight and creamy, about 3 minutes.Gradually add in sugar and beat until light and fluffy.Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined, after each egg.With mixer on low add dry ingredients to butter, alternating with buttermilk. Beat only until just incorporated, Do not overwork. Start and finish with dry ingredients.Beat in vanilla.
- Divide batter evenly between three pans. I use a large ice cream scoop to make sure it is even.Bake 27-30 minutes. You want your tester to come out with just a few moist crumbs.Allow to cool completely, on rack, before removing from pans.
- Combine sugar, lime juice and tequila in a small sauce pan.Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Then bring to a low boil.Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature
- In bowl of a stand-up mixer, beat butter until light in color and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.With mixer on low, add vanilla, salt, zest and tequila. Then add confectioners sugar about a cup at a time.Change attachment to whisk and beat in cream, on high. You are basically gettting the cream to soft or medium peaks, to hold up frosting. This could take 5-7 minutes.
- To assemble cakes:With a pastry brush, "paint" each layer with simple syrup. You don't want it drenched but you want it coated on all sides.Spread enough frosting to cover the top of first layer across the top. Add another cake layer and repeat. For third layer, frost all three layers on the sides and work towards the top. Be generous with frosting. Then smooth tops and frost top layer.
- Garnish cake with a rim of Flake salt, like Maldon. I like to srpinkle more lime zest over the top and then place a lime wedge for decoration.