When I first started this blog, I would get stopped in the grocery store with people asking what was I my cart. I was always happy to stop and share. As my recipes and classes became more popular; people wanted to show me what was in their cart. I love having that kind of impact on all of you. That’s is my ultimate goal. I want you to be fearless in your home kitchen!
In this cart, I was shopping for a weeknight dinner, but was hoping to recreate my husbands favorite vegetable dish from a local restaurant. The dish is a roasted broccolini I with caramelized cipollini onions, toasted hazelnuts and cherry tomatoes. There is a little char on the broccolini and the acid and sweetness blend just right with the tomatoes and onions.
I served this great side dish with a lemon chicken and a saffron risotto rice with no cream. It was AMAZING!
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil, divided
- 1 bunch Broccolini, washed and trimmed 1 bunch will serve one or 2 people
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Sweet Cherry Tomatoes, I used Twilights here
- 3-5 Cipollini Onions, sliced thin
- 2 Tbs. Stonewall Roasted Onion Jam
- 1/4 cup Chopped roasted, unsalted, hazelnuts
- 1 Tbs, Good Quality Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°Toss broccolini with 1 Tbs. olive oil and kosher salt.Line a baking sheet with foil and spread broccolini out in a single layer. Roast in oven, for 15-20 minutes. Broccolini should still be firm but able to be pierced with a fork. Turn on broiler and watch carefully, but get a little char on the leaves.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a sauté pan over low-medium heat. Add tomatoes and stir. Toss ocassionally until tomatoes start to burst.Add sliced onions and stir, as cooking. It should take about 5 minutes for the onions to soften and get translucent.Add Roasted Onion Jam and stir to incorporate and melt.
- Place broccolini on platter and smother with sauce. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and give a quick drizzle of balsamic. ServeIf you have the balsamic reduction (or want to make) that is so popular, that is a great drizzle too
Send me your cart pictures and what you made. Or don’t tell me what you made and let’s see what I can come up with.
Please follow me on Instagram @whiskinthesouthern.