Back on January 19th I posted my version of the Tik Tok, cake cutting hack, on my Instagram. While you all loved the hack, what I heard most was, “I need that recipe”!
So here you go. This is my vanilla cake recipe. It is light, delicious and sweet. You will love it!
Please send me pictures of your version and follow me on instagram https://www.instagram.com/whiskinthesouthern/
Vanilla Cake and Vanilla Buttercream
- 2-1/2 cups Sifted Cake Flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups Granulated White Sugar
- 4 large Egg Whites, room temperature
- 1 large Whole Egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Whole fat Sour Cream, room temperature
- 1 Tbs. Pure Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Whole Milk, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch table salt
- 5 cups Confectioners Sugar (about a box)
- 1/3 cup Whole Milk, may need more
- Sanding Sugar or Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°.Grease, Flour and line with parchment paper, 2-9" cake pans
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat on high until creamed together. Be sure to wipe down sides.Add in egg whites and combine well. Then add in sour cream and vanilla.Alternating with the milk, on a slow speed, add in dry ingredients in thirds. DO NOT OVERWORK your batter. Mix until just combined.
- Divde evenly into prepared pans. I like to use a large ice cream scoop (disher), to get it evenly distributed.Bake for 20-25 minutes. You want a tester to come out with just a very few wet crumbs. remember ti will keep cooking as it cools.Cool cakes, in pan on wire rack. See notes below for assembly.
- In the standup mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, Beat the butter until light and fluffly. Add vanilla and salt, then start adding the confectioners sugar, slowly.Depending on the weather where you are, you may need to gradually add the milk as you go, or you can add it at the end. Continue beating until you get a thick but light consistency. Keep in mind you may need to add more confectioners sugar or more milk.