Every now and then, a cake hits me between the eyes. This is one of those cakes.
As I have said before, I love Tahini!.
This cake has tahini in the cake and the frosting so it hits all the notes for me. I even note a pus sign by the tahini amounts, just to let you know go for it.
The lemon zest and the sour cream, in the cake batter settles downtime richness of the tahini. But in that frosting you just want to go for it.
This cake will keep for several days, in the refrigerator. Good luck with that, I couldn’t even get a picture before my crew dove in!
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsps. Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 tsps. Kosher salt, I like Diamond.
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Avocado Oil
- 1-3/4 cups Granulated White Sugar
- 4 jumbo Eggs, at room temperature.
- 1 cup Whole Milk, at room temperature.
- 1/2+ cup Tahini, I used Soom, stirred and at room temperature.
- 2 tsps. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Sour Cream, at room temperature.
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature.
- 2 cups Confectioners Sugar, measured then sifted.
- 1/2 + cup Tahini, stirred and at room temperature.
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbs. Heavy Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°Butter and flour a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.Using your hands, mix sugar and lemon zest together, and set aside.In the bowl of a stand up mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, until light and fluffy, on medium speed. Butter should be a pale yellow. Add the oil and sugar/zest. Continue to beat another 2 minutes until light and fluffy and well blended.Add the eggs, one at a time. Blend each well.Beat in the milk, tahini, vanilla. Add in sour cream and beat until just combined.
- Turn mixer to low and begin adding flour mixture, gradually. Beat until just combined. At this point you don't want to overwork the batter.Pour batter into prepared pan and use a spatula to run through batter and smooth top. This will help eliminate air bubbles.Bake for 25-30 minutes until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turnout to cooling rack Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a stand up mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter for 3-5 minutes to get really creamy and fluffy.Reduce speed and add tahini, vanilla and salt.Once fully incorporated, gradually add confectioners sugar, until well combined.Change attachments to whisk and add 2Tbs. Heavy Cream. Start slow then increase speed until fluffy.Frost the top and sides of cake. Serve!