I’ve been participating in the Melissa’s produce #FamilyBakingChallenge. The recipes have come from many sources and have been fantastic. One of my favorites has been the greatest surprise. They came up with a recipe for a snack and cake using Winter Crunch Red Grapes.
I have to admit I would never have thought of grapes in a cake but I was pleasantly surprised by this cake. The batter is not too sweet which is a nice contrast with the sweet grapes. The grapes some how maintain their crispness and look so beautiful.
I think these grapes are great on their own but this is a fantastic way to use extra grapes.
Once I made the cake and was getting it ready to photograph I was struck by how Christmas-y the cake look. I decorated it with fresh mint and a few fresh grapes. Voila, it took on a wreath appearance. I would definitely put this one in my Christmas repertoire!
Please send me pictures. Please send me comments and suggestions. I want to hear how this goes for you. Of course please head over to Instagram and follow me on @whiskinthesouthern.
Grape Snacking Cake
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Zest from whole Lemon
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tbs. Brown Sugar
- 2-1/2 cups Winter Crunch Grapes, washed, dried and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Cover the bottom of a9-inch cake pan or springform pan with parchment paper. Grease and flour pan and parchment liner.In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Mix in vanilla and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.Turn mixer to low. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Coat the bottom of the prepared pan with brown sugar in an even layer. Add grapes and make sure they completely cover the bottom of the pan. Try to make sure the grapes are cut side up, skin side down in pan.Carefully spoon batter over grapes and spread into an even layer. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown, insert a toothpick in the center of the cake, when it comes out clean it's done. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before turning out of the pan. Enjoy with whipped cream or dust with powdered sugar.