I love this time of year. Give me a Meyer Lemon or a Cara Cara Orange and I am a happy girl. Every year I look for different recipes to use these fabulous gems.
This year I came across Odette Williams, Lemony Yogurt Loaf Cake, from he book Simple Cake. I loved this recipe. It is made with Greek yogurt and fresh lemons. I added a simple glaze made of just confectioners sugar and fresh lemon juice. The yogurt gives it a nice tang and cuts the sweetness.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and as always please follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/whiskinthesouthern/ and send me your pics.
Citrus Loaf Cake
- 2-1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Avocado Oil
- 1 cup Plain Kefir Cheese//Yogurt
- 1 large Lemon, zest of
- 1/2 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Granulated White Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°Grease and line with parchment paper a 9x5 loaf pan. Grease the parchment, too. I recommend leaving the paper to hang over the pan to lift cake out, later.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, oil, kefir, zest, lemon juice and sugar until smooth.Whisk egg mixture into flour mixture. Continue whisking until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 - 55 min. Check periodically. If Cake is browning too fast, tent with foil.Cake is done when there are just a few crumbs on a cake tester.Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then cool completely before glazing.
- While cake is cooling, whisk 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice into 1 cup of confectioners sugar. If you need or want it to be thinner, add 1 tsp. of additional juice at a time.